09 May 2010

Puppy X

I took these photos of puppy that I was recently looking after for a few days. I offered to be a transition home between the vet and hopefully her forever-home.





Puppy X and her story are a sad and all too familiar story in the world of dog rescue organizations.

She was one of the 27 dogs from a historical seizure in Surrey, BC on May 1 2010. Of the 27 dogs, 26 were pit bulls and one is a Sharpei. Of the 27, 23 were transferred to SPCA and then into the care and legal responsibility of the bully friendly dog rescue organization, HugABull. Of these 23, 19 were puppies and 4 were adults. The on-going story is here on a thread inside HugAbulls forum; http://hugabull.forumup.org/viewtopic.php?t=7329&mforum=hugabull

These dogs are suspected as being puppy-milled for the fighting ring and is as much as I can say. The horrors these dogs have experienced since first brought into this world are despicable. Five of the puppies have very severe mange.




An adult has a leg soon to be amputated because fighting was encouraged and then a lack of vet care for the wounds.




The one thing that continually amazes me with this breed, is their ability to trust humans after experiencing torture and abuse from the human hand. She's 14 weeks old, yet this puppy, though scared and only with me for a few hours, is slowly letting her guard down around me and my other dog and is willing to let strangers hold her, love her and care for her. And they in return are all to easy to start over and begin wagging their tails and are almost always excited to see new people. Here's a short clip of her and my forever dog trying to get her out of shell. It didn't take long, I might ad.


Jake and X from Eric Milner Photography on Vimeo.



Stories and progress reports to come!

Cheers,
Eric Milner
Still Photographer